About Us & How We Operate:
Why "J. H. Appleseed"?
J. H. Appleseed references the age old tale of Johnny Appleseed, born in 1774 as John Chapman in Massachusetts, who was known for traversing the American countryside planting apple trees. Although many of his tales have been wildly exaggerated, with cartoons of him randomly throwing appleseeds around with a pot on his head, he really did spend a large portion of his life traveling across Pennsylvania, Ohio, Iowa and more planting apple nurseries. He was truly often barefoot and occasionally wore altered sacks as clothing as cartoons suggest, and while the pot on his head was actually a steel hat he would wear and occasionally use as a bowl, he was often seen carrying around a bag of apple seeds. Although the apples in his nurseries were typically used to make cider rather than be eaten, he did often sell, share, or gift his saplings to neighbors and friends and was therefore responsible for the creation of many different orchards across multiple states, of which he would often fondly return to visit. He was known as a kind man with a strong passion for environmental conservation, and supposedly one of the trees he planted himself still lives and provides apples on a farm in Ohio. Although John Chapman had no recorded middle name, the H in the name stands for the name of the owner and founder of the company, Haley.
Working off of this idea, J. H. Appleseed as a company strongly believes that small changes and efforts can have large and long-lasting impacts. Just as apple seeds planted hundreds of years ago can still be thriving and providing fruit today, we have the ability to pass on our own environmental efforts to future generations and watch as their effects spread and grow. When one person takes it upon themselves to change their lifestyle by curbing wasteful habits and implementing more conscious sustainable choices, even if that only entails small and easy substitutions, they will undoubtedly affect the people around them and make some of them reconsider their choices as well. If a family gets used to using zero-waste products and practices in the kitchen, that will become simple routine and be a no-brainer when/if the children venture out and create families and habits of their own in their own homes. Such sustainable practices could continue to catch on with other family or friends when they see the ease at which such product replacements and minor changes to their daily routines could be made to not only help clean up the house and the planet but also help you feel better about the mark you are leaving on the world for generations to come. Just spread a few JHAppleseeds and watch the magic grow.
Do you donate any profits to charities or non-profit organizations?
Yes! We are a part of 1% for the Planet, meaning that we donate at least 1% of our gross sales to various environmental nonprofit organizations that work towards conservation and environmental justice. We are also completely Carbonfree® thanks to our partners at Carbonfund.org, meaning that we donate annually based on our sales to offset our carbon footprint, on top of already personally offsetting the shipping for each order through the use of EcoCart. We also plan to be a Certified B Corporation starting next year, as we must have been in operation for at least a year to qualify, which ensures that we employ truly sustainable and equitable business practices. Check out our Donate page to see what other charities we regularly donate to or support!.
Where/How do you obtain your products?
We work closely with all of our wholesalers to ensure that we are only selling and supporting brands who further environmental conservation and social justice as well as truly reduce waste through the use of their products. We do our best to avoid stocking any products that contain plastic, aside from recovered/recycled or otherwise sustainably sourced plastic, and try to work only with companies who are based and manufacture in North America (asside from a few select bamboo products) to limit shipping impacts and ensure fair treatment of all workers. To see more information specific to a certain product or brand, please refer to the description on each individual product page.
About Shipping & Orders:
How is shipping calculated?
Standard shipping takes approximately 5-10 business days, although is often shorter depending on the size and destination, and is always free on orders over $10. For orders under $10 or those using expedited shipping, the shipping is automatically calculated thanks to our friends at ShipStation, USPS, and BigCommerce based on the size or weight of the order and the distance it must travel to arrive to the customer. Currently we do not offer overseas shipping, mainly due to the fact that it produces a large amount of carbon emissions and is incredibly unsustainable. The shipping for each order is automatically carbon offset, but don't worry, we cover that cost for you rather than many companies that give the customer the choice at checkout and let it come out of your own wallet.
What aspects of shipping are carbon offset? How? What does that mean?
With the help of EcoCart and their forestry and other projects, we carbon offset the shipping for every order from our packaging location to the customer or shipping location. With the help of Carbonfund.org, a non-profit who uses our annual contribution (which is based on our amount of sales) we similarly donate to various projects surrounding reforesting or renewable energy that reduces enough carbon in the atmosphere to account for what we emitted in all aspects of our business. Many of our wholesalers that we purchase our products from also carbon offset their own orders, covering the shipping from them to us and maybe even more. We also donate to a variety of charities on top of this, equaling to even more offsets. All of this means that all of the shipping for every order you place has been carbon offset not once, not twice, but at least 3 times! All of this to make our ecological footprint on this planet as tiny as possible ensure that you, our customers, can have a guilt-free shopping experience.
How are orders packaged sustainably?
Thanks to our partners at EcoEnclose, all of the components involved in our packaging are made of completely sustainable materials. Occasionally we will also reuse boxes or other packing materials that have been already sent to us, most of which come from our suppliers that similarly use sustainable boxes and other forms of packaging. See below a description of each packing material we use and keep an eye out for our WE CARE cards (made with environmentally-friendly paper and ink) in our orders with QR codes describing the packing materials and how to reuse or recycle them.
- 100% Recycled 6" x 10"/9.5" x 14.5" Kraft Mailer or 10.5" x 3.75" x 19" Gusseted Kraft Mailer
- These Kraft Mailers are made of 100% recycled content, with 90% of that being post-consumer waste, and replace the typical plastic poly mailer. They are curbside recyclable & naturally biodegradable, using 10pt paperboard that is tamper-evident with a self-seal adhesive closure. Please reuse and recycle at the end of life.
- 100% Recycled 12" x 15" EcoX Mailer
- These EcoX Mailers are made of 100% recycled content, with 70% of that being post-consumer waste, and are a more durable alternative to the typical plastic poly mailer than the Kraft mailers. They are curbside recyclable & naturally biodegradable, using a slightly thicker 11pt paperboard that is tamper-evident and also water resistant with a self-seal adhesive closure. Please reuse and recycle at the end of life.
- 100% Recycled Tab Locking Box - 6" x 4" x 2" or 6" x 9" x 2" or 12.5" x 6.5" x 2"
- These Tab Locking Boxes are made of 100% recycled content, 95% of which being post-consumer waste, and is curbside recyclable & naturally biodegradable. Please reuse for as long as possible to continue helping reduce virgin cardboard and the unnecessary processing it entails, and make sure to recycle at the end of life.
- 50% Recycled Non-Reinforced Water-Activated Tape
- This tape is certified recycle-friendly and is made using 50% recycled content, compared to other companies who might use branded or reinforced tape that use no recycled content at all, or even more often is the plastic alternative than can't be recycled at all. The water-activated tape also uses less materials and is more tamper-resistant than other pressure sensitive tapes, although a bit more of a hassle, meaning that we give up our time to make sure your orders are packaged with the highest levels of sustainability and quality in mind. The use of this tape means that the entire package you receive is recyclable, rather than needing to strip the tape off of the box first.
- Zero Waste Shipping Labels
- These shipping labels are made from 100% post-consumer content paper and feature a release liner that is 100% recycled and curbside recyclable! They even use a recycle-compatible adhesive.
- 100% Recycled Ornament Paper Shred
- The 100% Recycled Ornament Paper Shred is made from 100% post-consumer & post-industrial content and is fully recyclable and naturally biodegradable. This product helps us to replace the typical bubble wrap, styrofoam, or other packing materials in circulation that cause great environmental harm. Please recycle at the end of life.
- 100% Recycled Corrugated Bubble
This Corrugated Bubble is made of 100% recycled content, 95% of which being post-consumer waste content, and is curbside recyclable & naturally biodegradable. This product similarly helps replace the typical bubble wrap, styrofoam, or other packing materials in circulation that cause great environmental harm but with a little extra toughness. Please recycle at the end of life.
- 100% Recycled WE CARE Cards with QR Code
- You also may see from us a 3" x 5" "We Care" Card reminding you of our sustainability efforts and detailing how to reuse or dispose of your packaging. Don't worry, even this card is made using 100% post-consumer waste and is also curbside recyclable & naturally biodegradable. They are even printed with sustainable vegetable-based inks! Please recycle at end of life.
What is your return policy?
We accept returns as long as they are sent within 40 days of the original shipping date. Returns are accepted if the customer ordered the wrong product, received the wrong product, there was a problem with the product or it did not meet reasonable expectations, or it was received already damaged*. Returns will not be accepted if the item was noticeably or significantly used. Customer is responsible for return shipping. Accepted returns are eligible for exchanges, store credit, or full refunds.
*Please note that as we do try to keep our packaging as sustainable and minimal as possible, some products like shampoo or soap bars may occasionally come slightly dented if the package was not handled well during the shipping process. Some products will therefore not be considered damaged and eligible for returns unless the damage affects their use. Pictures of the damage may be requested before we process a refund or exchange.
To return an item, please visit our Return Portal.
How does the rewards program work?
With our rewards program you earn points for every order placed, depending on the total cost of the order, which can be used to redeem dollar discounts on future orders. Customers can also earn points for creating an account, subscribing to the news letter, following us on social media, and for each birthday. Visit the real-time rewards panel on our site while logged in to your account to see how many reward points you have and how those points can be used.
How can I access it?
You can access the rewards program by clocking on the "Rewards" button on the bottom right-hand side of your screen. If on mobile, this will appear as a Gift/Present icon. Create your account or log in to get started.
Please feel free to contact us here with any more questions, comments, or concerns that you may have.